Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Breaking News: Vikings invade Italy


IMG_0907
Inserito originariamente da Bueno Snippy Snappy
With Easter coming quickly, two things come to mind: 1) What am I doing for Easter? 2) Panic, well, not panic, but consternation about moving back to America. I’ve gotten to the point here where I now feel like I will be moving back to America. There are much worse problems to have; meaning, moving back to Southern California is a great problem to have. Still, there is a completely different style of living that I have become accustomed to and, as you might expect, I have found that it suits me well. That didn’t come as a surprise to me of course and it’s going to be a huge shock to the system when I get back. Still, I’ll be happy to see Stella, sleep in the new bed, continue my massage subscription and I will definitely go out and take advantage of the weather in California.

So, it’s Wednesday before Easter and there was a concert tonight at the chapel across from the Duomo. The best part of the concert was that it was free. And if there could be two best parts, the second best part was the setting for the concert. I encourage you to check out the pictures on Flickr; it will be under the set called Festa di San Giuseppe.

The concert was very good; I’m not good enough with music to know if they were doing anything wrong though. It was put on by an orchestra that came all the way from Norway; and so, the Vikings invaded Italy for an evening. My thoughts were swirling this evening; not sure why. Must have been the drinks earlier or the nap before dinner. Whatever the cause, they were swirling. The main thing that I was thinking was I was wondering how long it must have taken to build the small chapel we were in that night. If you look at the pictures, you will see that the chapel is huge by American standards, but tiny by Italian standards. I was also wondering how long it must have taken to paint the frescoes. The details, depth, colors of the frescoes were immaculate; this isn’t your standard art class drawing. What makes them even more spectacular is how big they are. I mean, how long does something like this take to do? More importantly, people must have had a lot more patience for waiting for these grand works of art to be finished.

No comments: