Monday, February 18, 2008

My pants feel a little loose

When I got up this morning, I had to tighten my belt all the way to the last setting (is that what it’s called?). I have no idea how this happened but it could be all the walking that I am doing. When I get back to California, it will probably best that no one is my passenger for the first week as I get used to driving a car again. Speaking of the walking, I feel like I am walking fast; in fact, I am consciously trying to walk fast because I’m usually late for all of my appointments (school included). Still, with this brisk pace (arms swinging and all), I still can’t keep up with the Italians. These folks are moving quickly and perhaps that’s why they are all in great shape. My former Italian girlfriend told me once that whenever I’m in Italy she thinks that I walk much slower than I do in the USA. In fact, she also said that in America, she had a harder time keeping up with me (imagine that!). She assigned me the nickname (endearingly of course) of il bradipo. I’ll save you the wiki translation; it means sloth.

So, if it isn’t all the walking, then it’s probably the additional mental energy that my peanut requires for the additional language. I’m still in that state where my brain is acting like a computer; meaning, it hears something, looks it up, makes a quick (quick enough at least) cross reference in English, and then processes the meaning. The natural order of course is to just know it or to have the brain compare it to an experience. And so, here I am, building those connections and experiences with people, TV, music, etc.

When I was done complaining about my class today, the other students had already left. I was left to my own devices for lunch. During which, I took care of that loose pants issue. I didn’t just take care of it; I REALLY took care of it. I found a small osteria near my apartment called Osteria di Tamburino. I ordered Pici al sugo di cinghiale. Pici, no translation, it’s a type of pasta typical of Siena (and also Umbria as it was explained to me by the waiter). Sugo di cinghiale is a wild boar sauce. As I’m sitting there enjoying my glass of wine (by the way, I paid 2€ for two glasses; I kept the receipt for proof) that is absolutely blowing me away, the waiter brings me the pasta dish. Just looking at it and enjoying the aroma, I already know. I’m reminded of that time I paid $12 for a glass of corked red vinegar in Santa Monica.

I finished the meal with a pork chop. Like I said, I REALLY took care of that loose pants issue.

No comments: