Tuesday, February 12, 2008

One Jalopy To Go Please


Registered Owner
Originally uploaded by Bueno Snippy Snappy
I was called to make a deposit into the universe (aka help someone out) and the result of that is shown above. It definitely wasn’t fancy nor was it close to being young in age, but it was really clean and seemed to run pretty well. It made it all the way to the Bay from Cerritos even if there were a few scary moments along the way. Most of those scary moments had more to do with large trucks not respecting “the little engine that could”. Oh what a feeling! Toyota sure knows how to make a car.
A friend of mine told me once that these deposits into the universe are more like investments that pay dividends later. When he told me this several years ago, I was in the process of making another similar deposit and the problem then was that I was seeking my reward(s) in the same secular terms that I had made the deposit in. This time around, seemingly older and wiser, I discovered that I got an immediate return on my investment just not in the same secular sense that I had made the deposit in.
So, below is a list of the dividends that the universe paid me back with:

  1. Alone time. One of my resolutions for 2008 is to spend more time with friends and family. That being said, it was nice to have some alone time to think (about seven hours to be exact) about my upcoming adventure (more on that here) and reflect on all the recent events that put me in the position and state to take the adventure.
  2. Safe, starry night. While fiddling with my iPhone and avoiding the big trucks that were disrespecting the little engine that could, I dropped one of the bottled waters on the floor. I reached down to pick it up and when I looked back up, I noticed that the stars were out. I reflected on that for a moment and enjoyed it for what it was but also realized that this also meant that it was a very clear night in California in February. Not a bad thing for someone that had a long drive in front of them.
  3. This story. Sounds weird but having this story is great. A very close friend of mine accompanied me to pick up this car and while she was driving it, the salesman was asking me what kind of work I did. I told him that I sold computers (that’s usually the easiest way to explain it). According to my friend, the look on his face was priceless. She recounted later that she thought that he was thinking one of two things: a) I’m not good at selling computers, b) I need to sell a lot more of them.

No comments: